Wednesday 26 September 2007

Not Just A Comedy

I watched Knocked Up at Steph's house last night and I have to say it wasn't amazingly hilarious like everyone said. It was funny, very funny, but it was also dramatic, real, and at times quite emotional. Judd Apatow makes really interesting movies. In terms of the biggest ones, he has produced, Anchorman, 40-Year Old Virgin, Talagada Nights, and Knocked Up, as well as Superbad which I have yet to see. As a producer, Anchorman and Talagada Nights are outright comedies, farces even, with extremely exaggerated characters. But when he also writes and directs, as in 40-Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up, they are more of a romantic comedy for guys. They have real situations. The guys sometimes act like tools and the girls sometimes get irrational and it all hits really close to home. Even some lines from the script, I have had guys say to me or I have said to a guy. I didn't laugh all the way through Knocked Up, but I definitely enjoyed it.

No comments: