Tuesday 24 July 2007

Strange New Vegtable

Last night I learned about a kind of vegetable I had never heard of before. The Taro. It is a root vegetable (similar to a potato or carrot) that manly grows in Southern Asia. I went out for dinner to a Vietnamese restaurant with Kristin last night and it was a flavour option for bubble tea. Usually used as a savory food it was really strange to have it in a sweet drink. Used as a starch side dish like rice, pasta, or potatoes I'm going to look for it in a grocery store to and prepare it at home to see what it is like. It may be a strange new vegetable for me but it is actually believed to be one of the first cultivated plants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When Ami and I went for sushi after I got back from treeplanting I had taro bubble tea. It was definitely interesting... I enjoyed that it was purple.

-Em