Saturday 3 February 2007

Birth Order

Spent the night with Ami, Em, and The New Roommate, for the most part we just didn't stop laughing. Tales of our childhood and stories of embarrassing home movies. Mine involving the line "Look at me I'm dancing" yelled over and over. Man, I was an annoying kid. This lead me to think about the difference between those who are the oldest child (Ami and I) and those who are the youngest (Em and The New Roommate). I guess there are also those who are in between but the four of us all came from 2 child households...
- Oldest Child - Used to being center of attention. Wants to gain and hold superiority. Being right, controlling often important. Strives to keep attention through conformity. Develops competent, responsible behavior but can get very discouraged. Strives to please.
- Youngest Child - Expects others to do things, make decisions, take responsibility. Feels smallest and weakest. May not be taken seriously.
These are just quick and brief theories, more can be found in any resource about family dynamics and birth order.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was almost crying the stories were so funny. "I'm dancing, I'm daaaancing!"

"Don't eat the dirty snow..."

MSN quotes, pizza, and a bad movie - great night. You're making me want to have my own blog. Everything looks epic when it's written out like this.

Em

Anonymous said...

I want to hear the dancing story!!! I will ask you tonight! :)
And I have to agree with your birth order theories. They're pretty dead on.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree it was a pretty good time. I have to disagree with the older child being the one to strive to please though. Clearly that's the younger child having been conditioned to do so by the pushy older sibling.
You older sibling bastards:)