Sunday 24 September 2006

When Animals Attack

At home, a large house in small town southern Ontario, I had a large upstairs room with three large windows. My bed was usually positioned in the far corner, a corner of two outside walls. There were squirrels, possums, raccoons, coyotes, or bears in the attic right above my bed. For the last couple of years that I lived there I could hear animal sounds. Mainly them eating the beams above my head. I had terrible visions of these wild (and possibly rabid) animals eventually crashing through my ceiling onto me in bed. Now here, in Le Manoir the huge house in the city, I have animals near my bed again. The are in the outside wall at the head of my bed, right behind me as I sleep. I know they are smaller, cause we are in the city, and because the space inside the wall isn't big enough for a bear or even a raccoon. I don't hear much chewing, alot of running, scratching, and general animal noises. I think it is mice, chipmunks, or squirrels. I'm not as scared anymore, just unimpressed, can't nature just leave me alone?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I miss the animals back home. I miss my puppy, Eddy. I miss the wild animals too though. I miss seeing deer grazing in the fields. I miss seeing coyotes crossing the road while I am waiting for the school bus. I miss the wild turkeys coming into the backyard. I miss the birds, the cardinals, the morning doves, I miss them all - the pigeons of the city aren't the same. I miss the animals of the country, they are far superior to those of the city.

Jenn said...

You seriously had a bear in your attic? How the hell did it get in there?!?