Tuesday 29 August 2006

Urban

Two perfect people, sitting in a window
Perched on bar stools at Herb and Spice
Drinking Perrier and Orangina
A spoon sits in her yogurt
They are eating organic fruit, free-trade chocolate
They have no nationality
So blended, so melted, their faces so beautiful
Latin American, Asian, White
So polished, dressed up in a stripped shirt
Manicured toes placed in delicate sandals
She stretched
He smiles

I watch them from my seat in the bus
Slowly moving towards home
Eating the cold fast food fries sitting beside me
My pants too low and my tight shirt, weight gain
Thrown together, they don't match
Round cheeks and dark eyes
Smelling of coffee and sweat
I worked all morning, drank iced tap water
I turn away from them

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Very nice, I really enjoyed your poem.

I know how you feel. I often feel yucky and mismatched compared to people I see out on the street.

How do people get to be so fashionable? Gimme jeans and a cute shirt and I'm happy. I don't have time to dress nicely! :)