Thursday 24 August 2006

Music

I had a revelation at work about music, while listening to Adult Contemporary, Channel 9 on our satellite radio. Older music is better. By older I mean 6 months old and back. This is because the listening selection is cleaner. By listening to current music, we are listening to hundreds of songs, many of which will never make it very high on the charts and never receive that much airtime in the long run. Right now, on any Top 100 Music Chart are artists and songs sitting at the bottom that are never going to raise very high, or be played on the radio in six months time. So I don't want to waste my time listening to them because in 6 months, to a year, even 10 years down the road will I be listening to or even remembering these songs? They are being played now though, across the country, on TV and radio, because they are "Hot" and "New". I don't trust anything just because it is "Hot" or "New". I want something "Good", "Catchy", "Familiar", or "Fun". If I listen to any music that is last season or older it has endured. The songs have had time to become some part of a time period of my life, even it it was just last semester. These older songs are now tied to certain memories in my mind, so I care about them more. I want songs that can stay around, by then I have learned the lyrics, and smile at the memories tied to them. I only want to listen to songs that have lasted through a few months of radio play, I don't want to listen to a bunch of crap that in the end won't make it long term. I like my music filtered!!

No comments: