Thursday 23 July 2020

Bouncing About

It was a morning with some good news! I get to move forward with more steps along the flowchart that I outlined yesterday that maps out the next couple of weeks of this pregnancy - there was a heartbeat!!

In the photo from this mornings scan, you can see the fetus's head on the left side. The profile of the face is kinda blurry - Jason thinks it is sucking its thumb. The fact you can see the brain shape is so creepy and crazy! Apparently it is the size of a lime at the moment, a little over 2 inches long.

The appointment at the hospital went well, it was a quick ultrasound so I didn't get the eFTS testing done at the same time, I am keeping my appointment next Wednesday for that, and have fingers crossed that the NIPT will come in with results ahead of that anyway. The technician right away confirmed that there was a heartbeat and that everything was ok, in fact she said the baby was moving around a lot!! A few minutes later she was able to confirm that it was on track for size at 12 weeks. At the end of the scan she spent some time showing me images and printed a couple off. I saw it bouncing and twitching! She mentioned that my uterus is tilted to the back, which doesn't really matter except that it makes it a bit harder to see things during early pregnancy scans - just a cool fact to know about my insides.

The technician seemed familiar, I told her that I thought she was the person who did my emergency room ultrasound to diagnose gallstones. She told me she was - she had noticed in my chart that she had scanned me before and that it had been a few years ago. Small world (or only a few ultrasound technicians work at St. Joe's in Toronto.)

No comments: