Sunday 15 December 2019

He Knows Me Well

A while ago we were at a games night playing Codenames and Jason made a comment that showed just how well he knows me - and how my mind works (or doesn't work.) Every time we play the game I remember the moment and it makes me smile.

The game involves a layout of 25 words, which a single player trying to communicate to their team, using a single word only, which words are assigned to the teams colour. It the goal is always to have your team guess correctly multiple words in a single turn. It is surprisingly hard to tie together a series of vastly different words using a single word hint, followed by a number for how many fit that hint.

Here is what happened:
Looking at the layout, as the player giving the hints, I said: Animals, three.
This means that my team members, Jason and Teri, needed to look at the words in the layout and guess three that fit with the word Animal. They choose: "Giraffe" and "Dog"
Then they started to struggle, as there were no more obvious animal words.
So Jason adds for their third guess: And, "Papyrus"
Everyone was confused: What? For animals? Papyrus?
Jason continued: Yes, because she probably thinks it says "Platypus"
And, he was right, I totally did!! I have a Masters in English.

No comments: