Tuesday 1 October 2019

Dumbo

Lots of travelling! I keep saying that with the shop closed now, "All I have is time and debt." So I am trying to figure out if it makes sense to visit Mom in Palm Springs in November and I have two trips planned this month.

First I am heading to Buffalo for Thanksgiving weekend with Jason. Then a couple of weeks later, I am going to New York City with ERin. This was planned way back, before I decided to close the shop. Since she had already booked her trip, and it is from Sunday to Wednesday, I thought it would work well with my cafe schedule. We are staying in Dumbo, Brooklyn.

The neighbourhood name is an acronym:
Dumbo - Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass.

Lots of names in New York are funny short forms or acronyms:
SoHoSouth of Houston
TribecaTriangle Below Canal

They make fun of this in the show How I Met Your Mother when two of the characters are looking to buy an apartment in Dowisetrepla which turns out to mean Downwind of the Sewage Treatment Plant.

No comments: