Tuesday 23 June 2015

Regrieve

This weekend was difficult and I chose to stay home from work yesterday because I hadn't fully regained control over my emotions. I spent most of the time alternating between depression and anger. It is almost like I went through the 'stages of grief" again, but on a micro level.

I see the value in the Kubler-Ross model that details the different emotions experienced in periods of grief. The theory is well known and covers: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance. The concept has been pushed beyond the initial situation of a loved one dying to include other types of traumatic situations -  rejection, divorce, illness diagnosis, addiction, infertility, job loss, break-ups, etc.

It has also been suggested that, "the stages of grief exemplify the basic process of integrating new information that conflicts with previous beliefs." I totally get it - change has always been really hard for me, but I am finding that my dad's death is even harder.

No comments: