Sunday 15 March 2015

Regent Street

Sunday Mornin' Coming Down - A post about my Dad each Sunday, named after a song that he loved.

This is where my dad grew up. It is a large bungalow on Regent Street in London, Ontario. I forget when exactly his parents bought it, but it was before Dad was in elementary school.

After my grandfather died, Aunty Laura went to Toronto, and Dad moved away when he finished university (Western), my grandmother still lived in this house. We visited her here all the time when I was a kid.

I went on a road trip to London today, with Tessa. I wanted to visit my aunt for her birthday and see a bit of the city. I also got a quick chat in with Amanda which was a pleasure as always. Finding the house was borderline instinct - I was pretty impressed with myself and my memory.

It was fun to see the changes (or not) in the neighbourhoods I visited as a kid.It was a bit of a shock to see all the changes to the Western University campus, which I visited often as a child (or we drove through often) since it is just a few blocks from this house..The house was sold in the late 1990s or maybe early 2000s to become a student house. I was happy to see that it seemed well taken care of. It is a way nicer student house than those in Toronto or Ottawa. 

The back wall in the dinning room (through that big window on the left) has built-in glass shelves with a mirror on the back. It was a bit strange to see a collection of alcohol bottles there instead of all the cute little tea cups and figurines Grandma had. But the big magnolia tree (on the right, in front of the porch) seems to be doing well.

I have great memories from London and it was fun to be back. It is a beautiful city. 

No comments: