Sunday 8 March 2015

Duck Boots

Sunday Mornin' Coming Down - A post about my Dad each Sunday, named after a song that he loved.

When Mike and I were young, Mom and Dad used to take us cross-country skiing a lot. We had our own (used) equipment and the low-ankle, navy blue, ski boots. We always called them duck boots because the protruding lip on the toe that allowed for the old-school, 3-prong connections to the skies, made funny foot prints.

However, my dad didn't have duck boots. His skies had a slightly more 'modern' type of connection system and the boots were taller and grey. (Much more early 80's than the old ones we had.) I always thought it was because my dad was such an elite skier that he needed better equipment than the rest of us. I realize now that he only ever went skiing with the family, or just Mom. I am sure he was the best among us because he was so naturally athletic, but I doubt he was as good as I thought he was.

My parents also, always, told us about how the skies they had before required waxing (and might have even been wooden.) Seriously, ever time we went out skiing as a family they would talk about how great it was to not have to wax the skies. Of course, this meant nothing to Mike and I because we were really young and barely had any idea about what they were talking about.

1 comment:

Sweeton said...

Think you mean skis but skies make it a rather interesting post too.