Thursday 12 February 2015

TB - Vaccines Again

These are the facts listed on the Measles page of the World Health Organization's (WHO) website:
-- Measles is one of the leading causes of death among young children even though a safe and cost-effective vaccine is available. 
-- In 2013, there were 145 700 measles deaths globally, about 400 deaths every day or 16 deaths every hour. 
-- Measles vaccination resulted in a 75% drop in measles deaths between 2000 and 2013 worldwide. 
-- In 2013, about 84% of the world's children received one dose of measles vaccine by their first birthday through routine health services, up from 73% in 2000. 
-- During 2000-2013, measles vaccination prevented an estimated 15.6 million deaths making measles vaccine one of the best buys in public health.

I have posted about vaccinations on Always Standing before:
- The Cost Of Sex
- Flu Shot - Get It
- Put My Arm Where My Mouth Is
- Look! No More Polio

Well, after a high-profile Measles Outbreak in the USA over the last couple of months, the "debate" about vaccinating children is front and center in the news lately. The thing is, it isn't a debate - get your kids vaccinated.

This Facebook Post from a York Region mother is heartbreaking. Her newborn son was possibly exposed to the measles virus when visiting the doctor's office. I appreciate that she isn't blaming the individual who was at the office and later developed measles, but instead says, "If you have chosen to not vaccinate yourself or your child, I blame you. I blame you. You have stood on the shoulders of our collective protection for too long. From that high height, we have given you the PRIVILEGE of our protection, for free... I PROTECT YOUR CHILD. We protect your child. By being concerned world citizens who care about ourselves, our fellow man, and our most vulnerable. So we vaccinate ourselves and our children... As an unvaccinated person you are only protected by our good graces. WE LET YOU BE SO PRIVILEGED thanks to our willingness to vaccinate ourselves and our children."

I wholeheartedly agree.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find this debate fascinating as I was a child of a parent who was anti-vaccination (I am now painfully up-to-date with my needles). My mom truly believed she was protecting me from the hidden harmful effects of vaccinations... but I still think Measles (or Rubella, Polio, etc.) is far worst. As a mother, I am so happy that they put enforcing policies in place so that I can safely send my son to daycare without worrying about a preventable disease. I read a neat perspective on this that read: "I won't send peanuts to school, if you don't send a preventable disease." Makes sense.

Love T