Sunday 6 July 2014

My Dad Can Dance

Sunday Mornin' Coming Down - A post about my Dad each Sunday, named after a song that he loved.

I thought about the title of this post for a long time. It is hard to move into the past tense sometimes. I just don't feel comfortable saying, "My dad could dance." (A lump forms in my throat and tears come to my eyes just typing that.)

But the truth is, he really could, can, did.

I love when guys (men, boys, males of all ages) dance. I think the key element is confidence. Just get out on the dance floor and do it! Having some rhythm is also helpful. It is amazing when people also know fancy dance steps and how to dance in pairs. But the very basic part is a comfort and enjoyment of dancing, and I find it sad when people don't have that.

Dad had a decent sense of rhythm but what really made it magical is how much he loved doing it. It wasn't even a case of confidence just a case of not caring what he looked like. He loved music and he loved dancing. Every time I hear Footloose, I am going to try to dance at the feverish level he always did - which I know from experience is exhausting but so much fun.

No comments: