Sunday 29 June 2014

Getting Your Fruit Cut

Sunday Mornin' Coming Down - A post about my Dad each Sunday, named after a song that he loved.

My mom used to make fun of my dad for the fact that his mother peeled his oranges. Whenever Dad was going on about how easy Mike and I had it or how much harder his parents had been on him, my mom would just say, "Yeah right, your mother used to peel your oranges!" I gather this happened well into high school and seeing that my mom knows about it, probably also during university.

The reason was that my Aunty Laura bit her nails and struggled to peel the oranges that were packed in her lunch. So, my grandma would peel them for her. Then 13 years later when she started packing lunch for my dad (there was a big age difference between my dad and his sister) she thought she should be fair and peel his oranges too.

I think that this may have been the root of the fact that he was always willing to peel and slice my bananas for me. I don't like touching the inside of a banana peel so always ask other people to help me open them. I then prefer that it is cut into 'coins' for me to eat with a fork. When I lived with Steph she would do it for me sometimes and whenever I came home to visit my dad would always be willing to do it to.

No comments: