Sunday 23 February 2014

How Is This Not A Thing?

Sunday Mornin' Coming Down - A post about my Dad each Sunday, named after a song that he loved.

So this is another link-related post. Back in 2007, along with some other tips about getting dressed, I explained my dad's Backwards Sock Thing in a post on Always Standing.

Please see the original post HERE.

As the post mentions, this 'maneuver' was never explicitly explained to me. I just saw my dad do it so often it is ingrained, and I have been using it for so long that I do it mindlessly. In Paris, my parents had a walk-in-closet that was not actually in their room. With my uncle, they renovated what used to be a bar into a separated closet in the office area. The office was between my parents bedroom and their closet; it contained the spare bed, large bookcases, and the computer. I spent a lot of time on the computer. After showering, my dad would come into the office (sometimes also called the spare room) and go get dressed in the big closet. For some reason, his socks were kept back in the bedroom, so after he dressed, he would go and get the socks and then use the spare bed to put them on. He would prop his heel up on the side of the bed, and if the socks were backwards he would use the aforementioned 'maneuver'.  I would re-explain what I mean, but how I wrote it out in the original post is probably about as clear as I can get it:

If the sock is right side out, just pull it on obviously. But, if it is inside out, instead of righting it and then pulling it on, use this trick. Dent the bottom a little bit and put the tip of your toe in, then roll it down over your foot and pull it up, it rolls itself out and goes on correctly.

How is this not a thing that everyone does? It is genius, and (for me at least) effortless. It is a bit fun as well, to watch an inside-out sock magically turn right-side out on your foot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember you showing me this trick for the first time.

Love,
Teri