Sunday 26 January 2014

He Knows Me Well

Sunday Mornin' Coming Down - A post about my Dad each Sunday, named after a song that he loved.

This is the last gift I got from my father. (Mom told me the story quickly and it was a month ago.) So, I gather, after my parents finished the cruise they took in the fall, they were in a Duty Free shop. My dad found a big section of the tiny sample-size bottles of alcohol. He went through and picked out a selection for Mike, Jason, and I for Christmas.

He got me Smirnoff Vodka in two different flavours, Orange and Citrus (Lemon, I guess.)

Dad always had a bunch of these little bottles of various types around, Mum considers it one of his collections but I don't think it was really an official one. Unlike Dad, I actually like to drink it. So, last night at Kristen's Birthday party I took them in my purse and enjoyed them in some Coke Zero. (Yes, that is a strange mix choice but it worked.)

In a creepy turn of events, these ended up being presents from 'beyond the grave.' Mom remembered the selections Dad had picked for each of us and wrapped them up for Christmas, 'From Dad,' even though he had died just less than a month before. From what I can remember of Christmas, which was quite a blur, Mike and I each also got a metal water bottle that Dad had specifically picked out for us in the Fall. Also, Aunty Laura told me that the pajama's that Santa gave me were very similar to the ones that my Dad was looking at in Costco back in September when he was shopping with her. Dad often got me pajamas, at various times in the year when I needed them, and he always did a good job picking them out. But I guess nice fuzzy black ones I got at Christmas will be the last pair from him. I think I will wear them tonight, see if their coziness makes me feel any better.

No comments: