Wednesday 4 December 2013

Right After I Buy 1000

Mum and I went to Cosco on Monday and one of the things that I purchased was a box of 1000 biodegradable bags. We have an under-the-counter container for compost and like to fill up these types of bags and then bring them out to the large green bin that gets picked up every week. I love that Toronto does this type of organic materials recycling, Ottawa was just starting to do it too when I was there - so awesome. I was really happy with my Cosco purchase, especially as the per unit cost was far less then buying them at the grocery store, hardware store, or even dollar store.

But then... I was at work telling this to my boss, and she told me that you can just put normal plastic bags in the green bin. Turns out she is right!

From the City of Toronto website:
Line your indoor kitchen container (no need to buy special bags ... your used grocery bags will do just fine). By lining your kitchen container, you don't have to handle the organics twice. Just remove the full plastic bag from your indoor container and toss it into your outdoor Green Bin -twisted or loosely tied, if possible, as it helps us separate the plastic from the organics at the processing facility.

So, I am going to return my big box of biodegradable bags. I am not only excited about the cost savings of using any plastic bag and the convenience of that, but also the fact that the compost ones tend to breakdown if they sit in the container too long and then start to leak. 

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

This is here.
Ouch haha that's a good use for regular plastic bags. However is it still 5 cents to get a plastic bag from the grocery store?