Tuesday 20 August 2013

Most Useless Degree

I ran across this great article/rant on Thought Catalog (which as a 'digital magazine owned and operated by an experimental media group based in Williamsburg, Brooklyn' and might be a little too trendy for me to be reading.) I often talk about the uselessness of my TWO degrees in English (proof of this can be seen in the English, Carleton, Ryerson, or Grad School Always Standing tags.) However, I agree with author Tyler Vendetti when she says, "Yes, I’m An English Major. No, I Will Not Be Working At McDonald’s." and in fact I agree with her whole article, my favourite part being:

"I can be a publisher. I can be a journalist. I can be a research assistant. I can be a speechwriter. I can work with magazines. I can be a movie critic. I can review books. I can be a copywriter. I can be a news reporter. I can manage social media. I can be a lobbyist. I can be an editor. I can write for television or radio or movies. I can be a travel writer. I can work in advertising. I can do anything I want to do ... The skills that you develop through writing and reading (such as critical thinking), the skills that come with an English degree, are used in every single day of your entire life." - By Tyler Vendetti, Yes, I'm An English Major. No, I Will Not Be Working At McDonald's., Thought Catalog

I would have made the list of career options longer and more varied, and the list of famous people who were English majors is way too actor heavy, but the article as a whole hits home, hard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really do have endless opportunities and an amazing skill set that I wish I had.

On a related note, many people think that a Math degree doesn't really lead anywhere besides teaching.

Love,
Teri