Saturday 26 January 2013

Long Acronym

Through work, I am involved in WorldPride 2014 Toronto. I always loved Pride events in Ottawa, though they were a bit more political then the ones in Toronto. Anyway, WorldPride is going to be a massive event and it is such and honour for Toronto to host the first one to be held in North America.

Anyway, at the first meeting they mentioned the LGBTTIQQ2SA communities and I have no idea when that acronym got so long! I can remember the switch from LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) to LGBTQ, where the Q meant Questioning or sometimes Queer. Now apartently the acronym has changed again and it is huge.

LGBTTIQQ2SA - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer, Questing, Two-Spiried, and Allies.

As an Ally myself, I really like that it is included in the list and in the spirit of inclusiveness I will ignore the unwieldy nature of this new version and embrace it. It isn't an issue at all to type, but it is a bit challenging to say.

No comments: