Monday 19 November 2012

Top 10 Books Read In The World

---- From Twitter, By Jared Fanning


The Top 10 Books Read In The World

As you know, I love visual representation of data, but for those in a rush I will break down what the above says. Also, this shows once again what a terrible English Major I am. Only read 5 of the 10!!

The numbers are based on the number of books printed and sold over the last 50 years. (Some titles may have had more titles printed, but then they didn't sell so it can be assumed those weren't read.)

- Read - The Holy Bible  (3,900,000,000, almost 4 billion!) In Grade 6, I got the little red version from The Shiners and in the front it outlined a breakdown as to how to read it in a year. I am very glad I took the time each night to read it and got through the whole thing. I don't remember much but it is an excellent base to have when reading anything else.

- Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-Tung by Mai Tse-Tung (820,000,000, also known as The Little Red Book)

- Read - Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling (400,000,000)

- Partially/Barely Read - The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (103,000,000)

- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (65,000,000) I want to read this, planning on putting it on my Xmas list

- Read - The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (57,000,000)

- The Twilight Saga Stephenie Meyer (43,000,000)

- Read - Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (33,000,000)

- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill (30,000,000) I have never even heard of this one

- The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank (27,000,000) Keep meaning to read this, putting it on my Xmas list too

How many have you read?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read 4 too, some the same as you some different. I too started but did not complete Tolkien.
Mum

Anonymous said...

2 corrections to the "Bible" section:

1) it was in grade 5
2) it was the Gideons, not the Shriners

I can remember that bible! I used to read it every day when I first got it. That was during my days of experimenting with religion.