Thursday 22 March 2012

First Cut Is The Deepest

I'm sure I write this post every year because every year I forget how rough the 'first run' is each spring.

I went to a movie (21 Jump Street, which is really good and I totally recommend it) with a bunch of friends on Tuesday. Teri and I decided to meet up for dinner at her place beforehand. Since I finish work earlier and she has to commute, I thought I would head to the gym after work. Well, the end of the work day came and I decided to bail on the gym and just laze about. Thankfully Teri called and asked if I wanted to go for run before dinner.

Teri is an awesome running partner! Lets me go at my own pace and doesn't make me feel bad about it or push me too hard. Running along the waterfront, besides being flat, beautiful, fun, and urban, is perfect because it provides a lot of opportunities to do little dipsy-doodles that can add length, or not, to the run. This worked because sometimes Teri would take this so I could walk for a bit.

I ended up running for a long time - though it did not feel good, lots of wheezing. I recently mapped it and it was just over 3km, which isn't bad for the first time out. It was so rough that it is tough to imagine it getting better but even under all the difficulties breathing and sore legs I could feel the excitement about running again, I really do love it.

Anyway, the other thing I forgot is that the after-pain tends to hit two days later, so yesterday when I thought I was fine didn't matter. This morning I was very sore and it was a slow moving morning as my muscles tried to warm up and sort themselves out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done, yes the first one is the toughest. Actually I can't remember a good 2nd or 3rd run either. I am rather jealous, too many hills here for me to even think of doing a first run. I can just imagine the run along the waterfront, it would be lovely.

Anonymous said...

Woops, that last comment was from me.
mum

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed running with you as well Chris! I have to get out again today...haven't been since our run.

Teri