Saturday 26 February 2011

Time In Texas

Here is a brief point-form summary of my week in Texas.
So in no particular order...


Location: Southcentral Texas
Dates: February 18th to 25th, 2011

-saw lots of birds: whopping cranes which are endangered with only 500 or so in the world; a roseate spoonbill that was pink and weird looking; pelicans; little things I call 'peeps' running along the sand; herons fishing; and a whole bunch of ducks
-I find it confusing that gas is measured in gallons and that the weather channel only uses Fahrenheit
-tried to eat healthy but ended up having ice cream pretty much every day
-it was so great to spend time with my parents, I had really missed them and the trip was very relaxing
-bought a bunch of clothes including white pants and capris that look like they should be worn by a 75 year old at a Tampa trailer park, I am going to try to rock this look which I am calling 'Florida Chic'
-took a ferry and saw dolphins playing in the bow-wave of an ocean liner passing in front of us
-ran 5km each day
-wore sunscreen but was still able to get a little bit of colour
-stayed at a place right on the water and fish were jumping all the time to the point that it was sometimes freaky
-got a Guess bikini for a wicked sale price
-spent some time in San Antonio; walked, ate, and took a boat ride along the Riverwalk which was mesmerizing beautiful, I can understand why it is the top attraction in Texas
-ate fresh shrimp every night with dinner
-visited The Alamo, and was surprised by a number of details in the story that I was not aware of
-got nearly attacked by seagulls who were trying to get the ice cream sandwich that I was eating while walking on the beach
-went to a BBQ restaurant in the middle of no where (Van's BBQ) that had the most amazing warm biscuits, melted in your mouth
-spent some time in flip flops and am now very much looking forward to spring/summer
-got my parents to take me to the San Antonio Zoo even though they were not keen on the idea, but it ended being a really good zoo and we had a great time
-watched the second half of the first season of Glee on DVD in the evenings
-ate a lot of tex-mex
-bought some cheap vodka to help stock the open bar at Taylor's wedding
-was surprised how warm Washington, D.C. was during the flight connection on the way down
-got to visit a bit with my grandparents to took me to and picked me up from the Buffalo airport
-caught a strange Canada vs. USA old-timers baseball game at a park were we went for a walk
-did marking every day but was still unable to finish it all

No comments: