Thursday 27 January 2011

French According To Chris

If anyone has spoken French with me then they know, my French is beyond terrible. It has been described as cringe-worthy at times. What I lack in pronunciation, grammar, and vocabulary (which is a lot) I definitely make up for in effort - I have no shame when it comes to speaking in my terrible French. Occasionally though I feel like I come up with some excellent translations of English words into French, usually this is for words that don't get translated and should just be said in their original English. This is like if you are ever at a checkout and listening to the cashier and customer talk in fast and perfect French only to throw in something like "Mastercard" in the centre, though sometimes I have heard, "Master-carte".

Here are some of my awesome creations...

Facebook - Livre du visage
Hotmail - Chaud-poste
Heather - Eather

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hahaha You're not the only one who calls me that in French. My name does NOT translate. It also becomes Edder. In Greek it was ΧΕΔΕΡ.

I love livre du visage. I feel like that really should be the name. It's way better than "le facebook"

I just finished translating some fun words for the museum, and I actually thought of you as I tried to find the right expression instead of a direct translation. For example, did you know that knick knack is not "le knick knack" but "colifichet"?

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. I love you and your crazy awesome french.

Jer.

Anonymous said...

your french is distinct we'll say...
x A.