Thursday 2 December 2010

Dragalicous

My mom called me up last month and said that my grandparents had been visiting. Pa had left a copy of the Toronto Star at The Cottage and while she was going through it, saw an ad for Priscilla Queen of the Desert. I had lent her the movie to watch over the summer and both her and Dad enjoyed it. She now wanted to go see the musical, and said "I don't know why it takes having a daughter living in Toronto to go and do stuff like this." I don't know either, but I was totally down. We often go to see the big productions, but from these strange 'cheap seats,' they are armchair-like seats that go along the side of the balcony, and they are much cheaper than other sections. (I actually believe sitting in 'A Box' is even cheaper, but as Teri and I can attest, the sight lines are so awful it isn't worth it.) She got tickets for the three of us and made plans for a little trip to the city to see the show and stay over at Rrunuv Bayit.

Sadly, a good friend of my mother's died over the weekend (R.I.P. Sandy) and the wake was scheduled for the same night as the performance. My mom asked if maybe Kristen would like to take her ticket. So Dad came down and spent the afternoon with me. He picked me up on campus, but we drove to leave the car back at the apartment and took transit. We browsed for Christmas gifts and walked around Eaton Centre; it is Sears' Flagship Store and they own the building and their headoffice is above the mall (and yes, ironically it is still called the Eaton's Centre.) We then shared a nice pub dinner across the street and decided to go to the theatre early to pick up the tickets. Dad convinced me to walk, it isn't far but it definitely wasn't close. It was a really nice walk though, dark and crisp. Dad showed me what used to be the tallest building in Toronto, which he went up to the top of in his early teens, interestingly it is now across from a building that might be three times its size. After picking up the tickets we went to hangout in a Second Cup. Dad somehow doubted our ability to sit and chat for just under 2 hours. (No idea why he would doubt this, has he met us? has he met us on coffee? Trust me, we were fine.) Kristen met us there and we went to the show.

The show was awesome!! I don't have much more to say beyond that it was true to the movie while also being different and great by its own right. It was a full blown flashy, fun production. Great music, great costumes, a great time. We all loved it!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh gosh..you and your dad on coffee and you were able to keep it to 2 hours!? Haha, glad you had fun.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it was good - and I agree with Steph haha!

I remember our Les Mis seats. Despite not being able to see 1/4 of the stage I did get really into it because we were so close.

Teri