Tuesday 27 July 2010

Guest Writer - Planes - Steph

From Stephanie Beach, writer of The Great Abyss
Photos by Stephanie Beach Photography:

Plane, Trains and Automobiles - Part I
3 Flights


I have taken 3 round-trip flights in a plane in my lifetime – All within the last two (ish) years. As I am not the greatest with nausea I thought flying would be a rather unpleasant experience for me, but it was actually pretty good.

I started off with a big one, Ottawa to Montreal to London, England (and back ten days later). It was a 6 and half hour long trip (there, 7+ hours return) and could have been miserable. But it was actually pretty fun. My ears popped pretty quickly when we were ascending and there was little to no turbulence. There were no crying babies that I remember and the seats were really comfy.
The two flights since then have been shorter, but less pleasant. For example, when I flew from Ottawa to Chicago for work, the plane was very small and experienced a great deal of turbulence. It was also packed and my iPod was out of batteries going in both directions.
The most recent flight was from Syracuse, NY to NY, NY to Tampa Bay, FL. The way down was fine, but the way home was a little bumpy and led to me getting a little uncomfortable. But I was fine and it also wasn’t that long (5 hours in total I think).
When it comes right down to it, I lean more towards being a fan of flying than not. Though I can see how people wouldn’t enjoy it – but really, how else are you going to see the world?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on that! I don't love it, but I am a fan of it. The older I get, the more nervous I get with flying!

Teri