Friday 25 June 2010

That Was Dumb

The Situation
(No, not that guy with the abs.)
I packed up my laptop to bring it down to the cottage. It isn't like our brand new construction and fully winterized HOME (for lack of a better word since Mom and Dad have sold the house in Paris and will be moving to Long Point full time) is rustic or behind the times. Actually, I think it gets more TV channels than my Ottawa apartment and the Paris house combined, since the bunny ears pick up a bunch of stations from the US. However, they haven't moved down the computer, and they haven't figured out what they are doing for internet.

The Dream
(Martin Luther King would be proud.)
Lack of internet at the cottage doesn't matter, I have my trusty laptop with wireless and I believe one of the cafes in town has wifi. So I began to spin great plans of ordering a salad, sipping on lattes, scheduling blog posts for the next two months. I also brought along some language CDs for the computer that I borrowed from JennD and Sims 3 since neither required internet. I was going to spend my evenings learning more Russian and Mandarin or tormenting my little Sims.

The Reality
(The dark bitch that she is.)
Well, it turns out that Port Rowan is flourishing this summer, the booming metropolis that it is. It seems like every little boutique, restaurant, and hardware store (there are more than one, even though the population is not large enough to grant them a Tim Horton's) are doing swimmingly, busy and expanding. However, despite all this business growth, and the looming tourist season, the only closed business in downtown, by this I mean the half block that contains the pharmacy and grocery story, is the cafe that had the wireless. Dreams shattered! I head over to the public library in hopes that there is better news there, all the while trying to shift my plans to make sitting at a desk in the library fun and cool. (This was a challenge and I had yet to finish spinning this new situation in my mind before the second issue hit.) The library had wireless and I was on my way. Reaching into my bag for my powercord and it is no where to be found! I must have left it on my floor in the bedroom of the Paris house. So now I have just under 2 hours of power for the entire weekend. I know it is my own dumb fault for forgetting the cord (who packs a laptop without the cord?) but now my dreams are totally shattered!

No comments: