Thursday 8 April 2010

Newfoundland Facts - Provincial Things

Going on a little trip to see Newfoundland from April 7th to 11th. It will be my final province, after this I have visited all 10 in Canada. JennB and I are going to be staying with Jerrica and her family. Looking forward to seeing the sites on the west side of The Rock!!

The provincial flower of Newfoundland and Labrador is the Purple Pitcher Plant. I think this is super cool as the Pitcher Plant is one of my favourite flowers, it is carnivorous!! Their official tree is the Black Spruce, official bird the Atlantic Puffin, and official animal the Caribou. What I find most interesting is that Newfoundland and Labrador have a Patron Saint, St. John the Baptist. I don't know who officially dictates saint's patronage but I don't think that all provinces have one. It is fitting when you look at their official provincial motto which is the the very religious, "Quaerite primum regnum Dei." (This is Matthew 6:33, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God".)

No comments: