Tuesday 24 November 2009

UofT

The first deadline for grad school applications is coming up in early December. University of Toronto (MA in the Field of Creative Writing), for some reason, wants things then instead of in January and February like most of the others. I wanted to give my two references lots of time so went to the UofT website to find out what the whole thing entails. (Hoping I could just print out some sort of reference form for them and worry about the rest later.) Turns out I had to go through pretty much the entire application so that UofT would send my references e-mails to get their letters, after I paid. One part of the application was my Statement of Intent, where I explain my area of interest. In the case of my program this is a novel pitch. They only gave me 250 characters, including spaces, to do this!! That is like 2 or 3 sentences. So, I freaked out and stressed about it for a minute then wrote a bit of something and submitted it. Thankfully I found out at the end of the application that you actually later on submit a Statement of Purpose which is a longer pitch, of about 500 words, still really short in my mind, that is only about a paragraph. Anyway, this is my tiny novel pitch...
I would like to write a genre women’s fiction novel which uses the technique of typography. The novel will not only focus on the female protagonist’s use of new media but also include quotes and references to classic and popular literature.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

U of T for Creative Writing?! This is new! So exciting!!! I like you pitch. I'd read it!

JJ said...

Masters in Haiku part 2? I hope you get it!

Jannedals said...

This is for next fall entry though right?