Thursday 27 August 2009

They Are Tiny

I found out tonight that the province of Newfoundland only has a population of around half a million people. Canada as a whole is working its way over 33,000,000. That means that Newfoundland is like one-sixty-eth of our nation. That is crazy!! Ottawa has one and half times that many. It is the last remaining province for me to visit. I have seen all the others. I'm dying to go, it is supposedly absolutely beautiful. Teri, who has Newfie liniage, has been. (Though she hasn't been to Manitoba so we are tied on provinces with 9 of 10.) Teri , Anna - the Nova Scotian and Jerrica - the true Newfie, all correct me on my pronunciation of Newfoundland as I tend to say New-found-land which is how it is spelt. However, it is actually said New-finland. There is also a bit of an ongoing debate on whether the term 'Newfie' is derogatory (a provincial-slur) or not. I don't think so and I would never say it to mean anything negative. To quote Jerrica, "Newfies Rock!!"

4 comments:

Jerrica said...

Hells yes Newfies Rock.
And you HAVE to visit, sometime very soon, cause it's amazing, and beautiful, and the is IS best province.

Jer

Erin said...

Every time I see the commercials to visit Newfoundland I want to go, looks like such a pretty place. I haven't been there since I was a kid so it would be nice to get a refresh course now that I can drink. Is it bad that that's a motivation?

Anonymous said...

Ditto to Jerrica's comment

Teri

Anonymous said...

Although BC's pretty cool as well

Teri