Sunday 31 May 2009

The Background Of 'The'

I have a tendency to adopt my friends sayings and ways of speaking. Rarely do I bring a unique phrase into being. However, I have brought 'The'. Actually, as I would say it, I have brought The 'The'. I add the word 'The' in front of words that really shouldn't have it. For example, the love, the sex, the drinking, the dinner. For the longest time, I could not figure out where it came from. My friends say it sometimes now but they definitely got it from me and I can't think of it happening in any TV shows of movies where a lot of things like that begin. I finally figured it out, it is from a beauty pageant. Actually the Miss Teen USA contest from the summer of 2007 where a contestant answered a question in a hilarious way. She makes no sense and keeps saying 'such as'. Most importantly she says 'The Iraq'. After watching the clip, at least a year ago, I started saying 'The Iraq' right away, and I guess that it grow from there. Please see the clip below, the clip that started it all...

3 comments:

J.Claire said...

You stole that from me....

J.Claire said...

I started "the Sex" a few years ago..just sayin'

Anonymous said...

hi everybody


great forum lots of lovely people just what i need


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.