Monday 13 April 2009

Trip Home

I went home for Easter and one of the things I did while I was there was to sort through my old memory boxes. It was really fun to go through my old keepsakes, toys, and school work. In honour of that I thought I would post a really bad poem. This is the first poem I ever wrote, well ever officially wrote down. I composed it completely myself, randomly just for the fun of it. (In later years my mom would often work with me, come up with rhymes, and write some of the lines.) It has won a couple of competitions and been published in an anthology at one point. I was pretty young when I wrote it, I know that I entered it in a contest in 1996 when I was 11 and it was probably written a year or more before that. It is not very good.

I've Got The Keys
I've got the keys
Mom gave me responsibility.
I could climb the statue of liberty.
I'm walking home,
All alone.
I have to open the door,
But I want to do so much more .
The whole key chain?
Is my mother insane?
Got the keys to the office, pool, and van.
Man Oh Man!
I got the keys to the car.
I could go really far.
The chain says "#1 Mom,"
But boy this time she was dumb!
I opened the door.
Didn't do more.
Oh well! Responsibility.
-Christine Sweeton

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the ultimate 'latch-key' kid poem. Love it.
T

Unknown said...

Power to the latch key kids!!

So cute!