Sunday 29 March 2009

Business Ethics

When Teri graduated she was offered a job at Capital One. It was a really awesome job with a salary that was out of this world. She however turned it down. She didn't want to work for a credit card company, especially one that relies so much on telemarketing and pop-up advertisements. While I think that I also have ethics connected to where I work, at the time I was shocked with Teri's choice as mine did not extend to condemning companies that use pop-ups. Tonight that has changed. I am angry! As I sit here writing my essay I am using Dictionary.com as my thesaurus. The problem is that whenever I search a word I get a pop-up and that pop-up is for, you guessed it, Capital One. I don't know whether I should be mad at the credit card company for advertising in this way, though kudos to them for picking an intellectual and well used site to do it, or angry with the site itself for succumbing to selling pop-up ads to make money. I could also be mad at myself for not finding a better site to use. Either way, Teri was right, pop-ups are annoying and evil! I would not want to work for a company that uses them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel popups are a small price to pay for a useful site like dictionary.com remaining free to users. Yeah, pop-ups are annoying, but do you really want to have to open an actual dictionary?
A.

Anonymous said...

For the record, there were other reasons. But either way didn't want to be working for that kind of credit card company - or maybe any in general.

Teri