Monday 3 November 2008

The Slutty/Sexy Costume

What are you sapossed to be?
I'm a MOUSE. DUH!
Halloween was this past weekend and it always surprises me how slutty girls can make their costumes. Luckily most of my friends are way more caught up in the creative and fun side of dressing up and don't use it as an excuse to be super sexy. This year I found it even more shocking as a party store in town was advertising pretty heavily on campus and I ran into their flyers everywhere. All the costumes they sold for girls were slutty. Most of them literally had 'sexy' in the title; sexy nurse, sexy cat, sexy vampire, sexy cop, sexy parole officer (I'm not making that up.) There was even a Wizard costume if you wanted to look like a character from Harry Potter, but it was midriff bearing and had an insanely short skirt. I think it was said best in Mean Girls: "In the real world Halloween was a time for little kids to dress up in scary costumes and get candy. In girl world it was the one night a year a girl could dress like a total slut and no other girls could say anything about it. The hard core girls just wore lingerie and some form of animal ears." I don't even really consider myself a feminist but this bothers me. At the same time I'm not totally immune to it. While my costume is rarely slutty, I tend to choose to dress up as something pretty, even my Zombie costume this year was more pretty than scary.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't like to be anything scary or disturbing - but I would never be anything skanky. I don't understand why some girls think they can be slutty on Hallowe'en - it doesn't make sense. Regular nurses, etc are not slutty why would you be slutty when you are going as one for a holiday?

Anonymous said...

I must agree with you, Steph. I think that a lot of these girls who dress up as "skanky" nurses, maids, etc have extremely low self esteem. They need the attention from other people to make them feel good about themselves...Well, at least thats what I think..lol

Kristin

Anonymous said...

Joker in a Dress
The Halloween store clerk looked surprised when I asked for a non-slutty nurse costume.

This was on one sentence! It made me think of you. Apparently people feel the same.

-First-year K.