Tuesday 30 September 2008

Maybe A Masters

I was thinking that a Masters Program wouldn't be that bad on the walk into campus the other day. It was confirmed by some loving banter between one my prof's and his TA, the prof is also his thesis advisor for the TA's doctorate. I have never really been a fan of an Art's Masters as I thought they were fairly pointless. Having a M.A. is almost as useless as having a B.A. Obviously some masters programs make sense, like for social work or architecture where you can't become a professional in the field without the masters, or for people on the track to become a professor. Still, it isn't a horrible idea. For degrees like English, the masters programs can be course based, so you don't even need to write a huge thesis. It is only two years. An M.A. in English is offered everywhere so if I wanted to I could go somewhere else. Also it doesn't have to cost anything as you can be a TA while your doing it, which I think would be really fun. I obviously have no idea what to do with my life!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is having a B.A. useless?

Kristin

Unknown said...

I think if you are willing and able to put in more schooling this is something to do some more research on.

I opted to not do my masters - I wanted to see what just my B.Eng could get me and then decide if the extra time, effort and stress would be worth what a M.Eng (or equivalent since there are 3 different versions) would get me.

Anonymous said...

Ditto - why are you spending the time , effort and money if it is useless it must have some value to you. You are being quite dismissive of something that is valued by those who take it, teach it and require a degree to be considered for a job.
MUm

Anonymous said...

I think a Masters is a good thing to have if you like school. I wish there were a Master's program that I was interested in and/or qualified for taking.

Teri

Anonymous said...

MASTERS ALL THE WAYYYYY!!!!!
It allows you to become an expert in your field of specialty, whereas the undergrad degree is to arm you with knowledge to better prepare you for the outside world. And a Ph.D is for snooty people like me who are not interested in medicine but still want to be called "Dr."

-A.