Friday 15 August 2008

Just in Time

Little Brother Mike left today to go to New Brunswick for 7 months. At the end of last year he started to think that the Brantford factory life might not be for him and his band wasn't really on the fast track to fame. He looked into the Canadian Military and did the smart thing of joining the Reserves first to see if he liked it. Throughout this year, he has been working and training with the Reserves and has really enjoyed it. It took a long time to get through the paperwork to switch into the Regular Force. He received notice a few weeks back and everything has pulled together rather quickly and is going to be in Gage Town, NB for the rest of the year. Turns out because he has done his Basic Military Training and Soldier Qualifying Training in the Reserves he is skipping ahead. He is going to be bumming around the base for a bit before starting Military Occupation training for Combat Engineering which takes just over 5 months, starting sometime in September. He flew out there this morning, luckily I got a hold of him on the phone right before he boarded the plane to say, "Goodbye, Good Luck, and I love you." My Dad drove him to the airport and my Mom was going to say goodbye in person before he left. I asked if she was going to cry and she said she didn't know. I don't know either. We have lived far enough away from each other for so long that I'm used to not seeing him. He is also hard to keep in contact with in the best of times anyway, so I doubt I will notice much difference. Also he still has a ways to go in training before he departs for any tours, so there isn't a huge threat to his safety at the moment. I haven't really figured out how I feel about it all. It seems to be happening so fast and I haven't wrapped my head around it. No matter what though, I'm very proud of him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Didn't cry yet, but it might only take me one glass of wine to get maudlin about this. I keep trying to convince myself that it is just the same as Chris going away to University (though I think I cried then)
Mum