Tuesday 29 July 2008

NY, NY

Last week a friend at work walked into my office and said, 'There are tickets for The Daily Show available, I just got some for December 1st, you should get some too.' He is moving to New York at the end of August to start his two year masters degree at The New School, a university there. Basically he said I could come and stay for free at his apartment. I went to the site immediately and signed up to get tickets, I love Jon Stewart. Jerrica claims he is her 'silver fox'. It was pretty rash, but I'm such a sucker for travel and have never been to New York City. I also have a weakness for going place where I will have free accommodation, it makes me think the trip will be cheap. What I really need is Steph to go with me, as she brings budget travel to a whole new level. I got 4 tickets for Wed. Dec. 3rd, 2008 as they are free and that is the max you can get. The last day of classes at Carleton is Dec. 1st, which is a Monday and on Mondays I have a full day of class, none of which I will be able to miss. The Amtrak train from Montreal is way cheaper than the bus. but the bus runs more frequently. My plan, as it stands, is to spend Tues. Dec. 2nd on the train down, tour a bit the morning of the taping, and then possibly have to take the night bus home that evening. Carleton exams start on Thurs. Dec. 4th, and while I have never had an exam on the first day, it would be just my luck that it happens the year I have plans. Dependent on my exam schedual I do hope it stay for a few days to see all the sites. I won't know until the end of October when my exams are, which is when I will probably finalize my plans. Because I have 4 tickets, and it is New York, it seems everyone I mention this to wants to come. Obviously there is no limit to the number of people who can go. Beyond one though and I will stay in a hostel, as it would be unfair to my friend and his roommates. Also there are only 3 spaces to go see the show. I thought because of its rash nature, added expense, timing, and the fact that it is more travelling, my parents would be upset at learning these plans. It seems though though that they are behind me on this trip as long as I stay sensible with my spending. I'm really excited. Mind you I just looked at some of Heather's photos on Facebook from her recent trip there and read the description on her blog, which is raising some doubts. Teri tried pretty hard to convince me otherwise last night, as she has been twice and loved it. I'm sure I will have a great time. I will get a great guidebook and plan to do it on the cheap. I find tall buildings inspiring and that aspect alone is vastly different from Ottawa which has height restrictions and no skyscrapers. The city itself is just so iconic. If I can make it there, I can make it anywhere.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't be too discouraged by my own experience. It was slightly tainted by the night in the airport. Also, it's worthwhile going at least once to New York to see everything. I just don't think I'll ever go back, out of all the cities I've been to. But there are other cities I wouldn't go back to either, like Cork or Dublin.

Also, in the winter it will not be ridiculously hot and disgusting.

I think you'll have fun! Lots of people love NYC, it just wasn't MY kind of city.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I might be interested in going..Let me know.. :)


Kristin

Unknown said...

Pending of job stuff - I would love to go with you, whether or not I attend the daily show. :) I have wanted to go to New York City for a while - been to NY (as it wsa so close to my home) but not NYC. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh sure post about it on your blog so even MORE people want to go! hahaha

Teri

Anonymous said...

For the record, I much prefer Chicago and would go there a thousand times over before NY again. I too am a sucker for a free place to stay.

Teri

Anonymous said...

Basically, I've never had a trip I didn't enjoy but I don't think I would return to NY unless there was something other than the city that was compelling. I'm with you Ter, prefer Chicago and would return because I was at a conference there and didn't get a chance to see the sights.
Mum

Unknown said...

oh if I leave this comment then it will tie for the most comments - you know with the post about Cora. :)
oh and I want to go back to London....I miss it.

Anonymous said...

Is it weird that even though I love Sex and the City, I'd prefer to go to Seattle? Damn, Frasier got to me first...maybe because it has that west coast feel, I dunno.
Still, I think NYC would be pretty sweet, same with Jon Stewart. And the season I'd want to go in would be winter, or fall. SUMMER SUCKS! ANYWHERE! DOWN WITH SUMMER!! (I hope Lejla doesn't read this haha)

-A.