Monday 28 July 2008

Flying With God

I dropped Jeska off at the airport this morning and noticed that they have a chapel. I find this strange. I can understand having one in a hospital, people die there and are sick. In a hospital you may want a place to pray for your loved ones but it seems weird to have one at an airport. Maybe it is for the people who are afraid to fly and feel the need to have a last minute conversation with God (or Whomever, dependent on the religion). Possibly it is because of long layovers, God forbid going 8 hours without worship in a designated holy place (God may actually forbid this, I don't know.) I think we have a chapel somewhere in my complex at work and I know for sure that there are a number of them on campus at Carleton, in order to provide space for a variety of different religions. This maybe something that all institutions feel they need to do, though I wouldn't consider an airport an institution. I also wouldn't consider all these chapels really necessary. I know that you have to be at work or school for long periods of time, possibly over the time which you would normally spend in worship, but I don't see it as unreasonable for a person to have to pray or worship in any space. Just do it quietly off by themselves somewhere. It seems excessive to have all these designated areas. I think they should have used the space for extra women's washrooms, as there is never enough of them in any institution or public area, and there is always a line up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, people are probably feverently praying "Please Lord, let me not die by the hand that made airplane food, and let the washrooms be available when I need to pee, lest I spray accidentally during a moment of turbulence"

-A.

Anonymous said...

ferverently

whatever.

-a.