Sunday 11 May 2008

Growing Up

I have lived away from my parents for a number of years now and I'm well into my 20's. Change isn't instantaneous. You don't automatically become an adult after turning a certain age. I'm not all grown up yet but I think I am definitely a big kid now. Slowly, I'm learning and dealing with some key things:
-pulling out the gunk in the kitchen sink's drain
-doing my own taxes and having to pay
-listening to the advice of others
-changing light bulbs and hanging pictures
-taking out the trash
-accepting disappointment with dignity
-cleaning out cat litter
-going to bed at a decent time when having to wake up early
-buying a vacuum
-hooking up the internet and installing the new modem
-sewing on buttons
-putting money towards rent, toilet paper, and tuition
-spell checking an e-mail before sending it
-having breakfast
-using a hammer, a level, and screwdrivers with ease
-paying off loans
-making and eating salads
I'm not all the way there. I'm no where near ready for the responsibility that is mortgages, or marriage, or babies, or a circular saw. I also can't handle live mice or any type of dead animal. Still, I think I maybe maturing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some of us it's leaving the parents, for others it is the parents leaving the kids.
Either way I have a couple things to add to your list:

1) Pulling hair out of the drain in the bathtub
2) Learning to eat properly (like your salad one, I suppose)
3) Watching Sex and the City for all those answers to the questions you never dared asked your mother...well unless you lived in a naked household, I suppose (BUT I DIDN'T!!)

And sometimes it's nice to have a parental visit now and again. If it's my mother, I get the bathroom cleaned (apparently??)
If it's my dad, it involves lots of fine cheese, haha

Anonymous said...

Absolutely you are maturing. On the mice issue: Fiona said to day that she doesn't like mice even though some people think their cute. Chipmunks are cute,she said, mice are not - out of the mouth of babes. All those other things on the list - absolutely maturing and I'm so glad your not ready for marriage, babies or that circular saw (though I am sure you could handle the saw), because I am not ready for you to be ready for them!
Mum

Anonymous said...

I am nowhere near being ready for marriage or babies! Or mortgages. I want to be a full time student!

Teri