Friday 7 March 2008

Too Much To Take

This post has been a long time coming. I rant and whine about this alot and it has become a regular topic of conversation for Teri and I. People from Paris are settling down, like crazy. There have been engagements, weddings, houses, and babies. They don't seem to always occur in that order. It isn't really happening to my friends here, just those I knew from home. I can understand it, those that didn't go away for school have spent 4 to 5 years earning money moving up in the work force, getting benefits, gaining experience, seniority, and promotions. Those that did go away to school are now starting to graduate and enter the workforce. Relationships that started in high school or just after are now established, committed, and long term. Property is more affordable in Brantford, Paris and the surrounding area, compared to my current location of crazy overpriced housing in Ottawa. Facebook is an easy tool to see what stage of life everyone is at, what they have made of themselves and where they are. Teri gives me regular updates as do my parents. It started with those older, but quickly spread to those who are my age and younger, at first it was just acquaintances and names I knew but now it is close friends and even family. I look at it all and just want to scream "But we are so young!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are SO young. I totally agree with you. I think a lot of people feel pressured to have their life sorted out at such a young age. Look at our parent's generation. Most were married with careers by the time they were 21. Well, my parents were...I must admit that I feel the pressure that society puts on me for being a 27 year old women who is still in school, is not married with children, and does not have a house or a career. Its kind of depressing... :(


Kristin

Anonymous said...

Definitely...

Teri