Friday 11 January 2008

Unnerved By Sound

Today at work, I quickly listened to some music on The Prairie Girl's mp3 player. She was shocked at how good the new Miley Cyrus song 'See You Again' is. Miley Cyris is Hannah Montana (I thought they were two different people) and was born in 1992, making her 15 and the new pop princess. The song was really good. That wasn't what surprised me, what did was listening with the new in-ear style headphones. They aren't that new, the little ear-bud things have been around for a while. I just couldn't believe that you can't hear anything until they are lined up just right inside your ear, and then it isn't like you are listening to music it is like the music exist in your head. I found it really unsettling, also since I couldn't hear anything around me, like my phone ringing. People experience this all the time everyone must think it is normal. Listening to music on the bus, at school, when walking, at work, everyone is used to the way the music sounds and feels coming out of these new headphones. I don't ever listen to music, especially not through headphones, and I found the whole thing really disconcerting.

No comments: