Tuesday 11 September 2007

First Class

I had my first class of this school year last night. It went well, and ended an hour early. I have to say, I raised my hand, a lot. There are two types of university students, those who raise their hand in class to answer and pose questions, and those who do not. There are facebook groups for both points of view. People usually stand very strongly on this issue, those that don't raise their hand, hate it when others do, as it tends to add length to the class and they often have seemingly stupid comments. I'm on the other side of the fence. I think class participation is important, interesting, and beneficial. If I have an opportunity to participate I will pay more attention in class. I enjoy when people speak in class, as long as they don't ramble on. In my defence I attempt to only ever say a few words or possibly a single sentence. I think there is nothing worse then a prof looking around for someone to answer a question when no one is volunteering. I will raise my hand with pride!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm of two minds on this one.
As someone who's been on both the teacher and student side of the equation, I think the more the class participates, the more stimulating and beneficial the course - - provided, though, that everyone has done the required readings and an appropriate amount of critical reflection on them. I've been in some classes where the questions students would ask would betray embarrassingly that they hadn't even bothered to read the course pack. Yikes.