Wednesday 22 August 2007

He's Just Not That Into You

"When it comes to men, 
deal with them as they are, 
not how you'd like them to be.

I just finished reading this book, by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo. It was really worth picking up. I'm almost tempted to buy it for every girl I know, even more tempted to buy it for myself. The authors claim that the book and concept is liberating, and that isn't 100% true. I found some of it depressing and upsetting, especially when reflecting on my own past and failed romances. Pretty much everything rang true in the book though and it really made me feel like I was worth love and great relationships. I hope to be stronger and smarter with dating in the future. There were a number of strong, eye-opening points.

From now on, I will stop making excuses for and accepting excuses from guys; stop putting up with and living in a less-then-loving relationship; and won't waste any more of my friend's and my time with crying about, and analysing, hurtful behaviour. If I am doing these things, then the guy has done something that is showing he isn't that interested me and what I care about. If he truly wanted to pursue me or be in a relationship with me, then I should be happy and content with his behavior towards me a vast majority of the time.

Some very basic and very simple truths from the book:
-- He's just not that into you if he's not asking you out
-- It is abuse if he yells at you, publicly humiliates you, or makes you feel fat and unattractive
-- By staying with a guy that isn't perfect for you, you are ensuring you never find one who is
-- Most men do not change and if they do it is only when they met a new women
-- Life is hard enough as it is without choosing someone difficult to share it with

No comments: