Monday 9 July 2007

Words

There is so much power in language. What is said or written can mean so much. I like to think that without warning or prompting I can craft a sentence to have a large emotional effect on a friend. Positively, of course. I try to make them smile, laugh, feel better about themselves, or cheer them up if they seem down. What is hard to grasp is friends and lovers who can not return the support. There are signs, phrases, body language that suggests someone is looking for strong words, words of love, support, strength, sympathy, encouragement. When those we reach out to fail to provide the soothing words we crave, it hurts. This is confusing because it is so simple to do. I'm pretty oblivious to signs but I like to think that most of the time I can give a friend what it is they are looking to me to say. Why can no one say to me what it is I want to hear? Also, am I even ready to hear it? Whatever it is.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know I am pretty bad with words and saying the right thing at the right time - but I think you know I mean well and at the very least with me there is always a shoulder to cry on and arms ready to hug.

Anonymous said...

I am the worst communicator ever. Its a big problem of mine actually. Talk to you soon!
Love, Teri