Friday 18 May 2007

Finally The Louvre

I spent the evening at the Louvre, having postponed the trip to the museum multiple times. It was free for people under 25 for the four hours between 6pm-10pm on Friday nights. I got in, after having my bag x-rayed. The entire place was initially overwhelming, intimidating, annoying, and boring. I spent the first hour wandering aimlessly around seeing the "big sights" sneaking pictures of the Venus de Milo, Mona Lisa, The Winged Victory of Samothrace, and The Raft of Medusa. The place is so filled with people, most of whom are talking much too loudly, have no real idea what they are looking at, and are wanting to add one more check to their list of great travel accomplishments. I remembered The Boy Roommate's advice and got an audioguide. It really focused and helped the rest of my visit. I walked around the French Sculpture and learned so much. It slowed down my pace, made me think and really love and appreciate the pieces. If I ever go through an art gallery alone again I will for sure get the audio guide. I also walked through Napoleon's rooms, which are still decorated and furnished with his original things. I probably only looked at 15% of the collection. I definitely think I should return to Paris, probably in the winter or low season, and do the Louvre for a week straight. Such a huge and amazing place.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey when are you returning to this continent again? (P.S. glad you had fun at the Louvre)

Halley Griffin said...

Hey Chris!! I found you from facebook and totally stalked you over here. I hope you had a good flight back to Canada and you're not too jetlagged! Have fun showing off all your new Paris bling!!!