Tuesday 29 May 2007

Divide

Their eyes go back and forth between us
My eyes rest on her
Cold, even, calm
There won’t be anger
We won’t yell, or cry
Today we will just divide

The first thing we bought together
Blue couch
Now sits in the den
Hours spent over catalogues
Weekends laughing in department stores
Spending evenings cuddled with pizza and movies
I get it
It matches my new place

I found this poem in the vast reaches of my computer hard drive. I have a lot of saved writing that I have done over the years. I think this one is fairly recent, and was going to be a lot longer and talk about a lot more items, but of course I got board with it, or uninspired, or busy and never finished it. About time spent with lawyers splitting up the material things during a messy divorce, I thought it was fitting since Ami and I just spent time tonight sitting on the stairs discussing marriage, mature relationships, cheating, and divorce.

No comments: