Friday 17 November 2006

Daddy Editing

Growing up, we always had a large collection of movies, mostly illegally taped onto VHS or Beta by my dad. Interestingly, if it was a movie that my brother and I were allowed to watch, it was occasionally censured by him in the taping process. Usually for blood and graphic or frightening scenes, because I'm a wimp and would get upset, often unable to sleep at night. We knew this happened, and never really noticed. Teri and I used to watch Uncle Buck all the time at my house, then something happened and we lost the tape. Eventually we rented it to watch again. There were sections of the movie that had been totally missing from the copy we had always watched. Mainly the plot about the boyfriend sexually assaulting the older daughter and then Uncle Buck going after him. I watched The Three Musketeers tonight and realized my dad had done a number on that one as well. Amusingly it is a Disney film so pretty tame, but I had never seen most of the dungeon scenes before now.

No comments: